- University of Missouri at Columbia. B.A.
in Zoology with Departmental and General Honors,
- University of Texas at Arlington. Experimental
Psychology as an undergraduate and graduate
- Baylor College of Medicine in Houston,
Texas. M.D. Degree in 1979.
- University of Texas Health Science Center
at Houston, Texas. Family Practice Residency
program based at Memorial Southwest Hospital
completed in 1982.
- University of California at Los Angeles
Medical School Acupuncture Course completed
- Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) Healing
Therapy Course completed in 2003.
- Healing Therapy Instructor,
graduated November, 2004.
- Research technician in the Genetics Department
at the University of Missouri in Columbia,
- Research technician at Baylor College of
Medicine in Houston, Texas, 1966-1971.
- Private Family Physician with Burton Silverman,
M.D. in Houston, Texas, 1982-1990.
- Hospice Physician at Hospice at the Texas
Medical Center, 1990-1994. Houston, Texas
- Family Physician at Durango Animas Family
Medicine, 1994-1997. Durango, Colorado 81301.
- Author of Love
is the Link: A Hospice Doctor Shares
Her Experience of Near-Death and Dying,
- National speaker on integrative medicine,
hospice, end-of-life issues, and near-death
experiences, 1988-present. Over 150 talks
and workshops given to date.
- Hospice Physician and Health Care Counselor
in Durango, Colorado, 2000-2003.
- Served as Medical Director of the Wellness
Portion of Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness
at Mercy Medical Center in Durango, CO, 2000-2006.
- Family physician at Fort Lewis College Student
Health Care Clinic in Durango, Colorado, 2001-present.
- Director of Integrative Medicine at Mercy
Medical Center in Durango, CO, 2004-2006.
- Certified Catholic Health Initiatives Healing
Therapy Instructor, 2004
- Family Practice Board Certification. 1982-2007.
- Hospice and Palliative Care Board Certification,
- Fellow in American Academy of Family Physicians
- Texas Licensure from 1979-1994. (I chose
not to renew the license when I moved to Colorado
in June, 1994.)
- Colorado Licensure since June, 1994.
Current Professional Affiliations
- American Academy of Family Practice. 1982-present.
- Academy of Hospice and Palliative Care
Honors and Awards
- Valedictorian of Raytown High School in
Raytown, Missouri, 1962.
- Graduated with Honors in Zoology at the
University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri,
- Graduated with General Honors at the University
of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri, 1966.
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1966.
- Outstanding Family Practice Resident at
the University of Texas Health Science Center
in Houston, Texas, 1982.
- Outstanding Resident Teacher at Family
Practice Residency program at the University
of Texas Health Science Center in Houston,
Examples of topics of talks given on Integrative
- Spirituality in health care
- The spiritual, psychological, and physical
dimensions of hospice care
- What is healing?
- Remembered wholeness: bringing the spiritual
and mystical into every day life
- Menopause as the gateway to creativity and
- Compassion and healing
- An update in mind-body medicine
- Love and health
- The gifts of volunteerism
- Love, medicine, and nonlocality
- Forms of meditation
- A paradigm shift on the horizon: the role
of NDEs in the 'New Medicine'
- New horizons in medicine: the power of prayer
and other influences on healing
- Integrating conventional and non-conventional
modalities into healthcare: a practical approach.
- Healing: what does it mean and how do I
- Seniors: Joyfully participating in life:
exploring options that health and freedom
- The impact of psychological factors on cancer
- Healing from the shock of trauma
- Healing and prayer
- Massage therapy: the research behind the
- Tai chi and health: supporting studies
- Prayer and healing
- The benefits of tai chi in people with arthritis
Examples of venues for talks and workshops
on integrative medicine:
- Senior Centers
- Community groups
- Cancer centers
- Radio interviews
- Consciousness conferences
Samples of Previous Talks:
- September 28, 2001 in Durango, Colorado.
"The Impact of Psychological Factors
on Cancer and Wellness," a lecture for
the Colorado Cancer Registrars Annual Conference.
- October 24, 2000 in Durango, Colorado. "New
Horizons in Medicine: The Power of Prayer
and Other Influences on Healing" at noon
conference at Mercy Medical Center.
- February 15, 2001 in Durango, Colorado.
"Integrating Conventional and Non-conventional
Modalities into Healthcare: A Practical Approach."
Sponsored by the Professional Associates of
Fort Lewis College.
- July 20, 2001 in Durango, Colorado. "Joyfully
Participating in Life: Exploring Options that
Health and Freedom Allow Us," a keynote
presentation at the Senior Center Day of Aging
- September 22, 2001 in Durango, Colorado.
"Psychological Attitudes and Techniques
that Contribute to Your Health," a lecture
at the annual conference of the Rocky Mountain
College Health Association held at Fort Lewis
- April, 2002 interview with Vidula Bhoyroo
Safft for Swiss Internet Mind/Body website
on "Healing and Prayer." Translated
into Swiss and back into English for website
in both languages.